Zane Walker is an American student, and a good friend of James Potter. He attended Hogwarts his first year of wizarding school as part of an American exchange program, and continued afterwards at Alma Aleron. Because of this, his communication with James after his first year was ultimately limited. He is also good friends with Ralph Deedle, and has a sister named Greer. He is usually infatuated with girls and will go out of his way to impress them, but can be fairly logical and intelligent. He is distinctly known for his quirky and off-the-wall attitude in any situation.
In the epilogue, Zane is revealed to have married his school girlfriend Cheshire and has two children, Joanna and Quentin.
- Zane is the first American character to appear in the James Potter books.
- Zane's infatuation with women is one of his biggest weaknesses, as Nastasia Hendrix was able to exploit him in The Morrigan Web, and he was oblivious to her manipulations (as Natasia bragged to James).
- Zane's character is also based on the real-life son of James Potter author, G. Norman Lippert, whose name is actually Zane.
- In the epilogue, it is revealed that Zane and Rose dated for several years after Hogwarts, until Rose finally ended their relationship due to Zane's personality.
- Interestingly enough, birch, the material used as Zane's wand wood is not typically used by Garrick Olivander in the creation of wands. Instead, wands of birch are made and distributed through his associate operating the Hogsmeade branch of his business. It is likely that this may be an error on the part of the author. On the Pottermore website, birch is, curiously enough, not even listed as a wand wood.
- In his introduction, despite recollecting that his wand's core could be "unicorn tail," it can be safely assumed that the core utilized is in fact "unicorn hair". This is due to the fact that Garrick Ollivander utilizes only potential three cores in wand-crafting: unicorn hair, dragon's heartstring, and phoenix feather.